Equipment: food processor, bowl, rolling pin, baking paper, baking tray
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 20 minutes
For the Pastry
· 2 cups plain flour
· 145g butter, chilled and cut into cubes
· 1 teaspoon vanillaeEssence
· Chilled water 2-4 tablespoons
· 1-2 apples
· ½ cup Norbu
· ½ teaspoon mixed spice
· 30g butter, melted
· ¼ cup flaked almonds
Make the pastry
1. Preheat the oven to 230C
2. In a food processor combine the flour and butter. Pulse until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Pour the flour and butter mix into a mixing bowl, add 2-4 tablespoons of chilled water and gently bring together with your hands.
4. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead the dough. Form into a disc and then cover tightly with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge and chill for at least 20 minutes.
5. Core and slice the apples thinly and toss in a mixing bowl with the Norbu, spices and melted butter.
6. Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll out into a circular shape between two pieces of baking paper until the dough is about 2 cm in thickness.
7. Line a baking tray with baking paper and place the pastry on top.
8. Place the apples in a circular pattern, overlapping each other, in the middle of the pastry, leaving some space around the outer edges.
9. Fold the edges over to cover the edges of the apple slices. Sprinkle with almond flakes and then bake for 15-20 minutes.
10. For a golden crust brush the pastry with extra butter or milk.
11. Remove from the oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes. Using a knife gently slide the tart off the baking paper and onto a plate or chopping board.
12. Sprinkle with extra Norbu and enjoy!